The 1870 directory refers to the Anchor Inn. 52 Tewkesbury Road in 1939 Kellys Directory. It was located midway between Queen Street and Sun Street. The Old Anchor was demolished in 1960 when Tewkesbury Road was widened.
James Wilcox was the owner of the Old Anchor Inn in 1891 and he leased the premises to the Cheltenham Original Brewery. At the time it was a licensed beer house with an annual rateable value of £15.5s.0d. During the following twelve years the Original Brewery secured full ownership of the Old Anchor and the RV per annum had increased by fifteen shillings to £16.0s.0d. in 1903.
Landlords at the Old Anchor include:
1870,1883 James Wilcox
1891 Edward Savory
1903 Samuel Barnett
1939 A.W. Barnett