The Anchor is located on the eastern bank of the River Severn. The licensing records of 1903 shows that it was then owned by Ind Coope & Co. of Burton on Trent. However, the Anchor Inn had a long association with Stroud Brewery / West Country Breweries / Whitbread. It may have been sold by Ind Coope to Stroud Brewery sometime after 1903.
Gloucester Journal: June 23rd 1877 – Selling his wife: A correspondent writes that on Monday afternoon some men were drinking at the Anchor Inn, Epney, when one of them agreed to sell his wife, who was present and assented to the proposition. A purchaser was not so readily found as might have been expected from the personal attractions of the lady. She was, however, eventually bought for threepence and was taken away by her purchaser. But she did not adhere to the contract and returned to her lawful husband in two hours.
Herbie was the name given to a glass fibre and steel tree in the garden of the Anchor Inn which incorporated a childrens slide. Landlord Barrie Knowles told the Citizen in September 1984 “Herbie stands out like a lighthouse overlooking the Severn and gives hours of pleasure to customers of all ages.”
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 762110
Rateable Value in 1891: £19.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: George Jones (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1903: £28.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Ind Coope & Co., Burton on Trent
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Anchor Inn include:
1856 James Cook
1885,1891 George Jones
1897 James Berry
1903, 1919 Thomas Edward Stephens
1927 Reginald Thould
1984 Barrie Knowles