Extracts from Gloucestershire Pubs Database (3033 total entries)
Compiled by Geoff Sandles
Darell ArmsLocation: Framilode
Postcode: GL2 7LF
Sir William Lionel Darell, who died in 1883, was the Rector of Fretherne from 1844–78. The Darell Family lived in Fretherne House and had built up a sizeable estate. They even built a pub in the village and named it after the family!
The Darell Arms replaced the Passage House Inn, which stood on the same site.
The Darell Arms was constructed in mock tudor style with two ornate gabled ends.
Following the death of L. E. Darell in 1918 much of the family estate was sold off, but a small part was retained by Sir Lionel’s son, Sir Lionel E. H. M. Darell, who died in 1954.
The Darell Arms closed c.1990 and is now a private residence.
Map Reference: SO 745104
Rateable Value in 1891: £45.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Sir Lionel Darell (leased to Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1903: £45.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Sir Lionel Darell (free from brewery tie)
Owner c.1923: Stroud Brewery
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
1885 John G. Heath
1891 Giles Henry Brain
1903,1906 Ernest George Powell
1919 William John Trobridge
1927 E. Honey
late 1920's Alex Pratt? (moved to the Three Horseshoes, Frampton on Severn)