Gloucestershire Pubs - Pubs and Breweries in Gloucestershire Past and Present
Search and View the Pubs' Database - Click here to return to Main Menu and other pages.
Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Pubs' Database
Quick Search

Order by
Name:

Admiral Benbow


Location:
Tewkesbury

Address:

Quayside (Quay Street)


Post Code:
GL20 5BE
Information:

The Admiral Benbow was located on the banks of the River Avon.

The inn was also known by other names during its history. It appears to have been called the Mermaid in 1670. In the Pigots 1830 Gloucestershire Directory the premises is referred to as the Severn Trow. The last name of the quayside pub was the Admiral Benbow.

There are no records of the Admiral Benbow in the 1891 and 1903 licensing books of Gloucestershire pubs.

Admiral Benbow (1653-1702) was the Commander of the English Fleet in the West Indies where he captured Captain Kidd. He later became Vice Admiral of the Blue. See http://www.thornber.net/england/htmlfiles/benbow.html A stone carving of the sailor could be seen on the building for many years after closure.

The building was demolished in 1935 and Healings Mill was built on the site. Note: the list of landlords / tenants include both the Admiral Benbow and the Severn Trow.

Detail:

Map Reference: SO 893329


Web Page:
Landlords:

1779-1786 Samuel Mayall

1786-1787 Mary Mayall (widow)

1797-1820 John Martin

1820 John Rogers

1821 John Vokins

1822 Joseph Boughton

1830 Joseph Glover (listed as the Severn Trow)

1842,1846   Joseph Glover.




Record Updated:

2010-06-26

Records 1 to 1 of 3034
Go to page:

Images and text are strictly copyright © Geoff Sandles.